2011-2012 Influenza Season Week 1 ending January 7, 2012
- U.S. Virologic Surveillance: Of the 3,199 specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division, 108 (3.4%) were positive for influenza.
- Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance: The proportion of deaths attributed to P&I was below the epidemic threshold.
- Influenza-associated Pediatric Mortality: No influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
- Outpatient Illness Surveillance:The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 1.4%, which is below the national baseline of 2.4%. All 10 regions reported ILI below region-specific baseline levels. Two states experienced low ILI activity, New York City and 48 states experienced minimal ILI activity, and the District of Columbia had insufficient data.
- Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in two states was reported as regional; seven states reported local activity; 37 states reported sporadic activity; the District of Columbia, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and four states reported no influenza activity, and Puerto Rico did not report.
|HHS Surveillance Regions*||Data for current week||Data cumulative since October 2, 2011 (Week 40)|
|Out-patient ILI†||% of respiratory specimens positive for flu‡||Number of jurisdictions reporting regional or widespread activity§||A (H3)||2009 H1N1||A(Subtyping not performed)||B||Pediatric Deaths|
|Nation||Normal||3.4%||2 of 54||464||30||367||188||0|
|Region 1||Normal||2.2%||1 of 6||14||1||0||7||0|
|Region 2||Normal||0.5%||0 of 4||7||1||4||2||0|
|Region 3||Normal||0.7%||0 of 6||13||1||4||0||0|
|Region 4||Normal||3.7%||0 of 8||46||10||176||116||0|
|Region 5||Normal||9.0%||0 of 6||85||7||6||11||0|
|Region 6||Normal||1.1%||0 of 5||14||1||23||18||0|
|Region 7||Normal||4.9%||0 of 4||46||0||22||2||0|
|Region 8||Normal||7.9%||1 of 6||140||1||77||9||0|
|Region 9||Normal||5.4%||0 of 5||65||7||50||17||0|
|Region 10||Normal||2.6%||0 of 4||34||1||5||6||0|
† Elevated means the % of visits for ILI is at or above the national or region-specific baseline
‡ National data are for current week; regional data are for the most recent three weeks
§ Includes all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands
|No. of specimens tested||3,199|
|No. of positive specimens (%)||108 (3.4%)|
|Positive specimens by type/subtype|
|Influenza A||102 (94.4%)|
|2009 H1N1||5 (4.9%)|
|Subtyping not performed||42 (41.2%)|
|Influenza B||6 (5.6%)|